Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection

Steve92
Team Player
Message 14 of 14

Hi, I've been a Tiscali/TalkTalk customer for years and need some help. Grateful if someone could help me with strange connection problems I'm experiencing.

I can't access the internet via any device unless I route through a VPN. Everything worked fine this morning, but a lunchtime I had error messages using my phone and desktop that I could not connect to the internet. This puzzled me because my work laptop was fine through the same internet connection.  When I switched on VPN on my desktop Outlook retrieves my emails and I can browse, and log-on to the TT Community.  Outside of the VPN nothing. I've got no idea what I can do to resolve it.

I've had what I guess now is a related problem with one specific site for the last couple of weeks. Again it started suddenly, I was unable to access LastPass (password manager) via TalkTalk broadband. I can access LastPass only when I do so using a VPN.

Although I can use VPN as a temporary workaround, I don't want to do so, and it doesn't cover other connected devises such as Sonos.

Realy grateful if someone could help me resolve this.

Many thanks.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Steve92
Team Player
Message 2 of 14

Great, thank you both @Skynet_TX , @Karl-TalkTalk 

Message 3 of 14

Hi @Steve92,

I'm only aware of one 'known' issue with the Huawei, but there is already a firmware fix available for that, so if that issue did affect you then the staff here could just push that fix out to your router to resolve it.

That known issue is not very common and only affects a small number of routers, but it can cause the router to reboot, and at the time of the reboot the log in the router would show a 'kernel panic' error. However as I say, this is a fairly rare problem, and if it did happen to affect you then the staff here can just push out a new version of the firmware that fixes it.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi

a Huawei Hub is on the way to you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Steve92
Team Player
Message 5 of 14

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Thanks for your email and apologies for the delay replying.  The issue hasn't reoccured yet.  On reflection, yes please, it would be very disruptive if it reoccurs and I can't fix it, so having the Huawei Wifi Hub would avoid that.

I assme the Huawei Wifi Hub is more reliable and doesn't have any know issues?  Otherwise I'm exchanging one potential problem for another, and we know that at some future date the Sagemcom router fireware update will cure that one.

Regards

Steve92

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 14

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry for the delay. Would you like us to send the Huawei Wifi Hub?

Thanks

0 Likes

Steve92
Team Player
Message 7 of 14

Thank you @Skynet_TX , I appreciate your help of a Friday evening.  I'll have a go at the amendment. Fingers crossed it doesn't reoccur before the firmware update.

Thanks again.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 14

Potential workaround :

At present your router will be acting as the DNS server for all of your devices, so when the DNS stops working in your router all of your devices will lose internet access. However you could configure your router so that it just tells all of your devices to use the TalkTalk DNS servers directly, therefore your devices won't use the router as a DNS server, and so shouldn’t be affected if the routers DNS stops working.

If you wanted to try this you just need to follow the instructions for the 'Wi-Fi Hub' here (ensure you go to the screen described in this article, as there are two screens in the router where you can modify DNS settings, but you must change the settings on the specific screen described in this article for this potential fix to work).

If you have never changed these settings before you will probably find that the primary DNS server is set to 192.168.1.1 (i.e. the router itself). You could change the settings as follows :

Primary : 79.79.79.79

Secondary : 79.79.79.80

(If you have a specific different DNS service that you prefer to use, you could use the IP addresses for that service instead)

These are the current preferred TalkTalk DNS servers (they are mentioned at the bottom of that webpage so you know they really are genuine TalkTalk DNS servers).

IMPORTANT : Having changed the settings you would need to make your devices disconnect and reconnect to the router (you could just reboot the devices or the router). When your devices have reconnected they will be configured to use those two addresses above as their DNS servers. So from that point on the devices will use the TalkTalk DNS servers directly rather than going via the routers DNS service.

Making this change may well resolve the issues for you, but if you do ever want to 'undo' this change all you need to do is put the old values back into that screen, or you could just factory reset the router by holding in the pinhole reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds, as that will return all settings back to their initial defaults.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 9 of 14

When the firmware is released it will automatically install overnight. When this problem does start happening it does tend to keep recurring, for some people it only does it every few weeks, for others it can do it every few minutes, so best to just see how it affects your specific router. Just be careful about rebooting too often, as if you reboot more than 5 or so times a day you risk triggering DLM, as it will think there is a fault on your line and will start to reduce your speeds.

This problem does affect people differently, for some people they lose all internet access on all devices, for others it can just affect specific devices.

I'll post the details of the workaround you can try by changing some settings in a separate post below, this did resolve the issue for me. But if that doesn't work for you, or you would rather not try it, and if this starts to cause you a problem, then just post back here to see if the staff can supply a replacement router of a different type.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

@Skynet_TX 

Thank you for the quick replies.

Let's see if it happens again. Now I know what it is, if it reoccurs I can try rebooting and I know to come back to the Community if rebooting doesn't clear it.  I'm comfortable changing the settings if need be, so if you can share those instructions I'll give them a go.

Will the firmware fix be pushed out automatically? Or will I need to actively install it.

I wish TalkTalk would be more open with its customers about known issues.  Because it previously affected only one specific product, LastPass, I'd contacted their support for help. They have been really responsive (the best support I've seen) in wanting to understand and fix the issue. I should appologise to them for the unnecessary time they've spent on it.

Regards

Steve

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 11 of 14

Ok, as you have the Sagemcom router you may be experiencing a known issue that can cause the DNS service to stop working on the router. When you are using a VPN you will not be making use of the routers DNS and so everything will work fine, but when you are not using a VPN your router will be acting as the DNS server for your devices, so if its DNS service stops working you will lose internet access (but the LED will remain white as if everything is normal).

A reboot will normally get things working again, but often the problem will come back after a period of time.

TalkTalk are currently working on a new version of the firmware for this router that will fix this issue, this is currently being tested and they hope it may be released later this month if testing goes well, but no date has been confirmed yet.

If this becomes a problem for you the staff here could send you a replacement router of a different type (the Huawei hub is not affected by this problem).

Alternatively, if you are comfortable with logging into the Sagemcom router and changing some settings then I could give you details of something you could do that might work around the issue and stop it from causing this problem. However might just be worth waiting to see if the issue does come back for you, or if the reboot has now cleared the problem.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hi @Skynet_TX

I have the TalkTalk router accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/39

Yes, that has restored everything!  Sorry I should have thought to try that!  Because my work laptop stayed connected it didn't occur to me to reboot the router.  How odd, never had something like that occur before. Presumably random things occur sometimes, or is it an intial sign that something is going wrong with the router?

Regards

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi @Steve92,

What make / model of router do you have ?

Does restarting the router help get things working again ?

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes