Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WAN socket connection Sagemcom FAST 5364 Router

ANSWERED
9 REPLIES 9
westpointind
Chatterbox

I have connected my old TalkTalk router to the new one through the WAN socket & it says that it is connected when I login to the new router. however, when I try to connect to the internet through the new router nothing connects. I can still connect through the old one though.

Divsec
Community Star

Hi @westpointind  welcome to the community, your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. May I ask what advantage you are seeing in this setup? Have you tried reversing them? Also you will probably need to disable dhcp in one or other of them.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Solution

The WAN socket on the Sagemcom router is intended for input from a VDSL modem. I have mine configured that way.

I think if you have something else connected there it will think that should be the source of the Internet and decide not to use its own internal modem.

Retired the 11 years old Dell, new one is an Inspiron 3881 running Windows 10 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.
westpointind
Chatterbox

Is there any setting I could change in either of the routers to make it work? It does connect to the internet & the light is white, see attached photo. Could I change something in DMZ or DNS settings or whatever? I added a line to the static route but to no avail.TalkTalk static dns.jpgTalkTalk connected.jpgTalkTalk static route.jpg

westpointind
Chatterbox

Thanks for your suggestion. I have managed to sort it out. I plugged in the old HG633 router from the red WAN socket into one of the the yellow LAN sockets. I could then see the new router connected but I could still not connect to the internet through the Sagemcom  router.

I then changed the port forwarding on the Sagemcom to add the HG633 IP address & everything else was populated automatically.

After that I can now connect to the internet through either router. One funny thing is though, it now says that it is not connected to the internet & the white solid light is now flashing orange.

Before it said it was connected & was solid white but I could not connect, very confusing.

westpointind
Chatterbox

Below is the screen of what I changedNew router connected.jpg

jbuchanangb
Philosopher

Which of the two routers is connected to the broadband line?

Retired the 11 years old Dell, new one is an Inspiron 3881 running Windows 10 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.
westpointind
Chatterbox

The old one, HG633

jbuchanangb
Philosopher

That explains the orange flashing light on the Sagemcom. It will give a white light if it is connected to the broadband line itself, or as in my case from the red WAN socket to a VDSL modem, but in your configuration, it is not itself connected to the Internet, it is connected to the other router.

Anyway as long as it works now, that's what matters. If the flashing light is a nuisance stick something over it!

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi westpointind,

Glad to hear you managed to get it working 🙂

Chris