Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet not available

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

This morning I lost my internet. On checking the router I find that it is not getting an ADSL signal. I have confirmed this with another router.

The pair from the master socket to the cabinet must be ok as I can make and receive voice calls clearly.

Looks like it could be a problem at the exchange but as Talktalk customer service is overloaded, I cannot get through to them. Any ideas please?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @ops026 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi ops026

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket? When you tested with the different router did you also change the cables and filter?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I completed tests on the BT master socket with two separate routers and cable systems and also changed filters. 

On logging onto router to check Dsl stats, it states that there s no connection. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Phone works fine with no noise, problem started around 8am.
Highlighted

Hi ops026

Thanks for the additional information. Does the master socket have a test socket?

Your guide to master sockets

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
No it doesn't, it was installed around 2001
Brian
Highlighted

Hi Brian,

As you've tested with 2 different routers the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle, the last time an engineer visited he swopped one of the pairs in the cable to the master socket in the bedroom. As we are in a flat it is difficult to get to. Would it be possible to book an Openreach engineer to install a new master socket from the distribution chamber. Could you confirm the approximate cost.

Highlighted

Hi ops026,

Can I just confirm, how many sockets do you have in the property? Is there no sync at any of the sockets? I'm just checking this as you mention that the engineer changed the cabling at the master socket? In regards to replacing the master socket I've included a Help Article below which contains more info,

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle, there is only one other socket and it has never been used. When the Openreach engineer came last time he found a break in the cable between the master socket and the BT junction box outside the flat. He managed to find another pair in the cable that he connected to get me back up.

However, he did recommend that if it happened again, to arrange for an engineer to call and install a new master socket and cable.

Could you arrange for an Openreach engineer to install a new master socket?

Brian

Highlighted

Hi Brian

We cannot arrange an engineer to install a new socket or complete any work in the property at the moment.

BT have advised that they will not be sending engineers into any property until around June.

If we believe a fault is external we can ask BT to dispatch an engineer and if an external fault is found, they will fix this, but will not enter a customers home due to the current Covid issues at this time.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl. Can you arrange for an engineer to check externally to see if the fault is there.

If not, we will have to look for alternatives as we are vulnerable and in isolation and need to order food etc.

I assume we will be credited for any time we are without service?

Highlighted

Hi

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted

Hi Brian,

Sorry about this, the engineer booking was rejected by Openreach.  I passed this back to them and they have now confirmed an appointment for Tomorrow AM (8-1).

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl, saw engineer working on the cabinet across the road, he has now left and everything appears to be ok.

Assume it was an exchange fault. Many thanks for your help.

Brian

Highlighted

Hi Brian

That's great news, glad its working now.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips