Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Dropping off on Laptop

Geheppo4
Conversation Starter
Message 51 of 51

Hi Guys 

I am back with the same old problem, My internet connection to my laptop keeps dropping off when I leave my laptop for 30 minutes or so and I have to keep reconnecting it1

I have run update checks on my laptop and even looked to see if there is a better driver for my network adapter and run diagnostics on my laptop for problem with my connection but everything comes back running smoothly.

This always occurs when I move my laptop from the area I normally work in to my rear bedroom where my charger is situated to put my laptop on charger but when I do that I am directly above my router!

Can some one help me with this or suggest some thing that might help correct this 

0 Likes
50 REPLIES 50

Message 21 of 51

Despite setting this to a dedicated channel of 6, are you saying that the router changes that channel?

Give it a while to test & if needs be, please get me more screenshots from Acrylic. 

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 22 of 51

Hi Keith, 

The 2.4Ghz side of my router is set to a dedicated channel and that at the moment is channel 6 and the bandwidth is set to 20Mhz as you can see from the screen shot Screenshot (69).png

0 Likes

Message 23 of 51

Hi @Geheppo4 

On the 2.4GHz band, how is the channel allocation set, is it on Auto or a dedicated channel? The initial recommendation would certainly be to set the 2.4Ghz channel bandwidth to 20MHz only (see my guide I sent you for details on how to do this).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 24 of 51

Hi Keith 

Sorry I did not get back to you earlier but I was having problems with my laptop battery and I had to replace it!

To get back to the problem with my internet connection dropping off on my laptop I download the Acrylic wi-fi home analyser software you suggested and here are all the results that I took screen shots of over the last few weeks.

Hope I have copy them properly for you and they are readable Screenshot (44).pngScreenshot (45).pngScreenshot (46).pngScreenshot (47).pngScreenshot (48).pngScreenshot (50).pngScreenshot (51).pngScreenshot (52).pngScreenshot (54).pngScreenshot (55).pngScreenshot (56).pngScreenshot (57).pngScreenshot (58).pngScreenshot (59).pngScreenshot (60).pngScreenshot (61).pngScreenshot (62).pngScreenshot (63).pngScreenshot (64).pngScreenshot (66).pngScreenshot (67).pngScreenshot (68).png

0 Likes

Message 25 of 51

Thanks Keith I will get back to you asap when I have read and followed your suggestions etc

Much appreciated for this help

Message 26 of 51

No problem. 

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Message 27 of 51

Hi Keith 

Since our last chat I have been busy trying to sort out why my laptop connection to the internet keeps dropping on my laptop 

I contacted Window support about my version of Windows to ask why I could not update to the latest version and allowed the support agent to remotely access my computer to run some diagnostic checks and the agent verified that I am running the latest version of Windows 10 and that because I am a windows insider I get the updates soon than the actual release and reported that everything was running fine. 

After my chat with support my connection seemed to be okay for a couple of days then started dropping of again on Saturday, it stay connected as long as I am using the computer but if I leave it for some length of time when I return to it I have to reconnect it and I have it set to auto connect to me network.

I would appreciate some help in checking my Wi-fi Bands for interference if that is okay with you

0 Likes

Message 28 of 51
I used to be a windows insider but cannot for the life of me understand why I am not now
0 Likes

Geheppo4
Conversation Starter
Message 29 of 51
Hi Steve.
my os is not as you say it should be it is Version 1903 installed 17/3/2019 OS Build 18365.1 and for some reason I am no longer a windows insider but I was and cannot understand why
For some reason I cannot get back in to the insider program
0 Likes

Message 30 of 51

HI @Geheppo4 

Sorry about the Windows Insider build I could have sworn that in your specs you said OS Build 18362, oh well hopefully it won't be anything to do with a bug in that. I guess it must be where you said it was V1903, rather than V19H1.

The power management setting may have been the cause, but only time will tell.

Do you want my help to check the WiFi bands for interference?

Keith

Message 31 of 51
Just checked my updates and there is no Cumulative update, all I have installed is Windows 10 Insider Preview 18356.1 (19h1_release) & windows defender updates and antimalware updates and the normal malware removal tools
0 Likes

Message 32 of 51

Thanks again Keith I have just looked at the power management and reset it as you suggested 

0 Likes

Message 33 of 51

Hi @Geheppo4 

Just in case you are not sure about where to check the power management.

Right-click on the network icon in the Notification area & select Open Network & Internet settings. Then click on Change Adapter options. Next right click on the Wi-Fi adapter & select Properties. Click the Configure button.

This is what you need to make sure is unticked for Power Management to be disabled:-

PowerMngmnt.png

Keith

0 Likes

Message 34 of 51

Hi @Anonymous 

This customer is not a Windows Insider though.

Keith

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 35 of 51
If you are a Windows 10 insider then it is correct as I have stated, Plus I don't need to check MS Website because as a member the updates are automatic
0 Likes

Message 36 of 51

Hi @Anonymous 

If you check the ms website it is 18362.267 what you are quoting is not V1903 at all.

Keith

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 37 of 51
Your Windows 10 64bit version OS should be 18945.1001 updated July 1st
0 Likes

Message 38 of 51

.267 was released a couple of days ago.

What about the power management question I keep asking about?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 39 of 51

Your OS Build is way out of date anyway, you should have done at least one cumulative update.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 40 of 51

Thanks Keith I will look into that and see if I can get the update  OS Build to 18362.267. 

Can you tell me the exact date that it was updated as I was away last week between 15 and 22 of July and may have missed it but really I shouldn't have because my laptop is set for automatic updates and I have not seen any 

0 Likes