Did you mean: 
Need help?

Declining fibre speeds and WIFI issues

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player

Hi,

I have been having problems regarding my internet speed as for the past two weeks as my internet has dropped by 10mb (37Mbps to 27Mbps) and is continuing to drop (currently 22Mbps). I'm also having troubles with my router as the wifi drops consistently for a couple of seconds and and on occasions stops working completely until I reset the router. I've tried numerous troubleshooting options (factory reseting the router, unplugging router for 30 mins etc) but none have remedied the issues. Can you please investigate and sort this problem out ASAP as it's such an innovicence, especially since I work from home and have had numerous conference calls disrupted as result of wifi connection issues.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi freweyni

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see that the speed has dropped.

Is the router connected at the test socket? I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player
Hi Debbie,

No it is not connected to a test socket. I guess we could try a replacement router and see if it fixes the issue. But will I be charged for the replacement router?
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi freweyni

There would be no charge for this router.

Would you prefer to monitor the connection at the test socket for 24hrs before we send a replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player
Hi Debbie,

Based on the fibre speeds declining when we started having issues with our router and connectivity, I think the best option is to send a replacement router. When would I expect the replacement to arrive as i need this issue to be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi freweyni

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player

Hi Debbie, 

I have received the router and set it up. So far i've not been having any WIFI disconnection issues. But as for the fibre speed, it remains low and has dropped again by 10 Mbps (37Mbps to 27Mbps) and continuing to decline (currently 25mbps). Through the Router, I can see that the max speed I can receive on my line is 47 Mbps, So I'm puzzled to why i'm not receiving the speed that my package states (37Mbps). I've been on this package since 2015 and have not had any issue in relation to the fibre speed until now (2-3 weeks).

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi freweyni

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you leave the replacement router connected at the test socket over the weekend, without rebooting the router. We can then check the connection stats again on Monday to see if the connection has remained stable and if DLM has made any changes to the line profile/speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player

Hi Debbie, 

I've now placed it on to the test socket.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi freweyni

Thank you. We can check the connection stats/speed again on Monday.

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi freweyni

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased, apologies for this.

Is the router still connected at the test socket?

The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit. I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Early morning today, my internet went out last night for a couple of minutes and later came back on. When it came back on, I saw through the router interface that my internet speed has been restored to its usual speed (downstream line rate currently a little over 38Mbps). However, when I run a speed test via WIFI its still low (25Mbps). Is an engineer visit still required? Can you run a test through your end, perhaps again throughout the weekend to make sure an engineer visit is neccessary? Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi freweyni,

Thanks for the update. If the sync speed increases, however there is no improvement in throughput speeds, then we advise switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then test the speed again as this will reset the current session.

Thanks

Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player

Hi,

Taken your advice, everything seems to be working fine now and have finally gotten my expected speed back. Thanks to all your contributions in getting this issue as well as my router issue fixed. I appreciate your help. When would I be allowed to remove the connections from the test socket and refit the face plate back? Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi freweyni

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂  I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased.

If you could continue to monitor this over the weekend before re connecting the face plate?

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Will do. Thanks again.

Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player

Hi Debbie, 

I've been monitoring my internet and for the past couple of days and it has been completely unstable and frustrating. Probably worse than my original complaint.My Internet speed fluctuates anywhere from 37Mbps to as low as 320Kbps. When it not wildly fluctuating, I only get around 16Mbps. Can you look into this please. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Have you tested wired (not over wifi) ? 

all test are clear and the speed is at 39mb.  I can only see wifi devices connected currently and there are some wifi errors showing.

Log into the router and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  

Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

There are apps you can download that can show the wireless channels in use.  For example I use WiFi analyser for Android to show the wifi channels in use around me and this allows me to set the least congested channel.

Give this a try and see if the connection improves.

Thanks

Karl.

Highlighted
freweyni
Team Player

Hi Karl, 

I've just tested it through wired and the speeds are what i'm expected (37Mbps). Rather than splitting the two, I had enabled Band Steering like it did on my previous router. However, with this new router i realized that it wasn't working and that all my devices where being forced to the 2.4GHz band. Having taking your advice and split the bands, everything seems to be fine now and the speed is stable. Thanks for your help.