The speed drop over the past couple of days was enough to make me feel it was time to run a speed test and line check again.
Consistent 9.5Mbps at the start of the month. 8.5 is enough of a drop to make me start checking again, though after that there was a slight improvement. Not yet in the danger zone, but....
Is this weather related, and, if so, is there anything to be done about it?
Still using the Huawei router. I have the Sagemcom already here. Is now a good time to try it?
Haven't done the switch off current router for 30 minutes routine yet.
Waiting to see what you think might be going on.
Thanks for confirming. I've run the test now which is detecting a possible issue towards the property. Would you like to try the new router and we can re-run the line test again?
Thanks for the update 🙂 Would it be possible to monitor the speeds over the next few days and let us know if they remain consistent with this router connected?