Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Download speeds are a disgrace

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Popular Poster

My download speeds fall to below 1Mb/s on both wifi and ethernet at certain times of the weekend and evenings - ie the service becomes useless. This has to be the fault of the talktalk connection, otherwise why does it at stay around 18 Mb/s (rubbish but useable) during the rest of the week? These dramatic falls to almost zero happen when there is no one else in the house and nothing going on that could affect the data transmission rates. What is particularly annoying is that while the talktalk Service Status claims a normal service is in operation, independent speedcheckers say otherwise. eg Five minutes ago Broadband Speed Checker gave these results:-

1) Connection failed, try later 2) Download 1.94 Mb/s Upload 8.64 Mb/s 3) Connection failed, try later

What is unacceptable is that Talktalk has no direct troubleshooting helpline, just this hit-and-miss forum.

Highlighted
Community Star

Did you try going through to the Service Centre area (from Service Status) to run checks on your own line, @Aristotle1 ?

Gliwmaeden2
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Aristotle1,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• TalkTalk Telephone number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster
profile now updated
Highlighted

Hi Aristotle1,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks very consistent. Just to confirm, when the speeds are low are you connected wired or wireless? Your speeds during the day also look low based upon the current sync speed.

Have you tried switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speed again as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Having just read through some of the 21,388 one star (ie very bad) reviews of talktalk customer service on Trustpilot I cannot see the point of continuing with this charade. It would seem that the talktalk business model is based on that of a dodgy car dealership that sells you a faulty car, and when you take it back to complain they tell you it is your fault for not driving it properly.

Clearly you are not going to admit that my (not infrequent) almost total loss of service during periods of local peak bandwidth demand is due to your own inadequate fibre infrastructure and nothing to do with any idiosyncrasies within my property. The idea that I should have to stop and switch my router off and on again in the middle of carrying out a complex online banking transaction is quite preposterous!

Highlighted

Hi Aristotle1

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I would be willing to try it, but it would be very odd for the existing router just to decide to "misbehave" on Sundays after 10.00am and weekday evenings after 7.00pm.

Highlighted

Hi Aristotle1

The replacement router is on its way, this will rule out any possible faults with your current router.

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie