would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow broadband-reset SNR?

38 REPLIES 38
eliteman
Team Player

Hi

My broadband speed has dropped to about 8 mbps, and often fluctuates to speeds as low as 4 mbps. This is using my wired connection. A OCE kindly reset my SNR three years ago and made my profile more stable and the speed greatly improved to 15 mbps, but recently it has slowed down and this has stayed persistent. I am using the master socket etc and have troubleshooted for other problems but can't find any.

Please could an OCE could check my line for any problems that would explain the drop in speed and to consider resetting the SNR or making my profile more stable to see if they improve the speed again? 

Thank you again.

eliteman
Team Player

Just to add I am using the Huawei HG633 router. I was previously using the DSL-3780 router. The new router has not made a difference to the speed.

Community Team

Hi eliteman

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test has detected a possible fault. Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

eliteman
Team Player

Hello,

I have reconnected it to the master socket at 9.30pm today (with the microfilter as I have a standard socket) and I will leave it connected for you.

It has not helped the speeds-the problem is the speed fluctuates from 3.5mbps to 10mbps with a wired connection but usually remains near the lower end.

I have used my landline phone and it sounds clear.

If there is a problem and you advise sending an engineer around, can you guarantee I will not have to pay a fee? If there is a chance I will be charged because they can't find a problem then I would like to decline.

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi eliteman

Is the router at the test socket with the faceplate removed? I can then run another line test in this set up.

Thanks

Debbie

eliteman
Team Player
Hi, yes I have just done this now. Faceplate is removed and router connected to test socket.

My phone is connected to a different socket in the house.
Community Team

Hi eliteman

Thank you, just running the line test now and I will post back on this thread shortly.

Debbie

Community Team

Hi eliteman

The line test is still detecting a possible issue. Would it be ok to now remove the router from the test socket and leave the face plate off (everything removed from the line) so I can run one more line test?

Thanks

Debbie

eliteman
Team Player

Hi 

I am at work at the moment, so I will do this as soon as possible and let you know.

Do you need me to disconnect my phone which is attached to a different socket in my house as well?

Community Team

Hi eliteman

Thank you. Once the face plate is removed then this will disconnect any extension sockets (temporarily) until the faceplate is connected again.

Debbie

eliteman
Team Player
OK, what time are you working till today so I can plan when to remove it?
Community Team

Hi eliteman

Would you be able to do this before 4:30?

Thanks

Debbie

eliteman
Team Player

Unfortunately I can not get home by 4.30pm

Would it be possible for to do this tomorrow? I will disconnect my router from the test socket at 7.30am before I leave for work.

Community Team

Hi eliteman

Yes that would be great, thank you.

We will post back on this thread tomorrow morning once we have completed the line tests.

Thanks

Debbie

eliteman
Team Player

I have now disconnected the router from the test socket.

Community Team

Hi eliteman,

Thanks. I've just re-run the line test again now and it is now clear. When we ran the line test previously was this just with the microfilter and router at the test socket and with all other equipment removed from the line?

Thanks

eliteman
Team Player

When it was run previously the router was connected to the master socket (faceplate off) but a phone line was connected to a different socket in the house.

The difference today is that I have removed the phone from this other socket and I have removed the router from the test socket

eliteman
Team Player

Do you need to do any repeat tests?

i will plug the router and microfilter  back in the test socket now. I will leave the phone line disconnected from the other socket in a different room

eliteman
Team Player

I have used a different microfilter for the router and it isn’t has just been reconnected 

Community Team

Hi eliteman,

Thank you. It's now showing the previous fault again. Have we ever run the test with a different router connected? If we've already tried this then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property to investigate further.

Thanks